It's been a mere (yeah, right) three and a half months since I recorded the dialogue for the first two episodes of Papercuts, way back on the first of March. I've had several patches since then when I felt as if there was far too much work involved in the project and it was all taking far too long and I wanted to just pack it all in and cancel the show.
However, after 48 hours of focussed work on the project (it's amazing what you can achieve in 48 hours of focussed work sometimes), I've fnally finished Episode 1, and very nearly finished Episode 2... and then jumped straight back in and started recording dialogue for Production Block B (i.e. Episodes 3 and 4).
A large part of Thursday was spent filming the last bits of Production Block A: specifically, Ep 2 Scene 10, then the last snippets of the title sequence with the ink barely dried on the background I was using, and last but not least Ep 2 Scene 11. Rounded off the day with a bit of editing.
Yesterday was all about the noise. Depending what time of day you dropped in, you would have seen me scuttling in and out of my room clutching various ill-gotten gains including the old clock of the mantelpiece, the cutlery drawer, a plastic bucket full of dirt, a full watering can, and a trowel... not to mention the various strange sounds I ended up making a capella. I also pestered Tim into writing a snippet of incidental music for Episode 1, so that I could complete and publish the episode. Which, about an hour after I should have been in bed, is just what I did.
Here's what all the fuss has been about - or at least, the first instalment of it:
Episode 2 is complete apart from one track of incidental music, which I'm hoping Tim might be able to sort out while I'm in Kent over the next week, and the general plan is to publish the second instalment about two weeks after the first one, followed by the third as soon as it's ready. Beyond that, I don't really know yet. If the scripts for episodes 5, 6 and maybe 7 are ready to go by the time I finish making 4, then I might go straight into Production Block C. Otherwise, I might look at re-starting Arbitrary Stopframe. But don't take any of that as final - the only definite decision I've made so far is to stick with Papercuts until at least Episode 4 is finished.
I'm really hoping the second pair of episodes won't take as long as the first did. I do have a bit of a head start this time in terms of major sets already existing, and things like that. Watch this space.
In unrelated news, I've been meaning to do a post about how I might have handled certain challenges from The Apprentice Series 8, but that'll have to wait for at least another week, if it happens at all. And I'm sure I've got some drawings and paintings that I haven't shown you. Must try and remember to do that before too long...
- The Colclough