Well, not in the most strictly literal sense, i.e. photochemical film stock passing through an exposure gate at several (usually 24, 25 or 30) frames per second. Like all of my video and animation work, Papercuts is being shot digitally. But the point is: it's now actually being shot. After I don't know how many weeks in pre-production, I've finally started animating some stuff for the new show. Admittedly, all I've got done today is part of the title sequence and a couple of other very small bits and pieces, but it's still a start. It shouldn't take too much work before I can shoot more of the title sequence and a couple of short scenes for Episode 1.
The downside is that in the process of animating what I thought would be the beginning of the title sequence, I discovered that it actually wouldn't be the beginning. I decided there would have to be another shot up front - and then I decided that said shot ought to be on the sofa. The sofa doesn't appear in any of the scripts until Episode 4, so I wasn't going to have to worry about drawing that right yet... but now I need to draw it up front so I can finish the title sequence for Episode 1. Darn. But then again, once the main sets are drawn, they're drawn, and what slows down the production of the first couple of episodes should speed up production on the second pair. Swings and roundabouts and all that.
The main thing is that I'm pretty happy with the material I filmed today, even if its runtime is a bit on the fleeting side.
And to prove that I'm not just bluffing here, and I really did shoot stuff, here's the very first frame to be recorded: Papercuts Main Title Sequence, Shot 2, Frame 001, otherwise known as "DSC_6019.jpg".
Watch this space!
- The Colclough