Monday 22 November 2010

There's hamsters and there's hamsters

I mentioned a few posts back that my sister Sophie's hamster Coco had died.  Well, a new one turned up about a week ago - this time it's small, female and vicious.

In three and a half years, we got through five different hamsters (four and a half, if you make allowance for the fact that Scribbles is still alive), and none of them ever bit me.  Five hamsters, average lifespan more than a year each, and no bites at all.  Scribbles often goes to the toilet behind my monitor, but that's not the same thing.

I held Taffy for the first time last night, and she chowed down on my finger, without the slightest provocation, within the first minute.  Blood was fetched, and Taffy quickly earned Hamster Non Grata status.  Apparently I'm not the only one to have found her bad side, either.

Now, one does wonder: why is Taffy so much more aggressive than all her predecessors?  Clearly not all hamsters are created equal.

I shall leave you to chew on that question.


- The Colclough

No comments:

Post a Comment