Wednesday 12 September 2012

Comics That Weren't

Last Saturday, I found myself editing the Yateley Baptist Church notice sheet for the first time in about 16 months.  It was due to restart after its usual summer hiatus, and the editorship had boomeranged back to me due to the spiralling work commitments of the guy who had taken it over last spring.  (Speaking of which: it seems to be a dangerous thing to pray that someone will get a job - sometimes they get rather more job than the prayer meeting bargained for!)

Well, so far, so run-of-the-mill.  But there was a bit of empty space left over, and I toyed with the idea of re-printing one of the 178 existing Grace and Caffeine strips.  I re-read the archives, and failed to pick one that I liked as a re-starting point, so the idea went to the cutting-room floor.  I never considered writing a new one - I've had a few ideas for future episodes in the two years since packing the project in, and slowly accumulated them in various notebooks, and I remain open to the possibility of doing a fifth season at some point, but I'm already working on too many different things at the moment and have no intention of adding Grace and Caffeine Year 5 to that list until a couple of the current items have been cleared off it.  Maybe someday, though.

Then my addled brain got onto the statistics: if I'd carried on with the 48-episodes-per-year thing, I'd have got to 274 before stopping for this summer, and produced #275 over this last weekend.  By that logic, there are almost a hundred G&C strips which could have been by now, but weren't / aren't.

Since G&C has been stopped for so long, its 178-strip 'runtime' was overtaken earlier this year by Brothers in Shells, which interestingly enough began life as an ink-and-paper comic but has now made the transition to a fully-digital production workflow, which I expect G&C would also do if/when I get round to drawing Year 5.  And speaking of Brothers in Shells: that notice sheet wasn't the only thing coming back from a summer hiatus over the last few days.  Tim's strange and wonderful snails-in-space webcomic is also back online as of yesterday, and once again features those pesky Tavuc getting the worst of George Darlan's 'benevolence'.  Which made me happy.

Go and read it.  Now.


- The Colclough

3 comments:

  1. I still don't really know much about the web comics that you produce.

    Lets just hope we don't have to wait 2 years for Hannah to do another Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the best way to find out is to read them; the links are <-- over there on the left. i'd recommend starting with Grace and Caffeine; it doesn't have much of a plot (each episode is a stand-alone thing) and it's mostly based on life in a Grace Baptist church, so i expect you'd find it the least confusing on the whole. C&M, on the other hand, has a long and fairly convoluted plot, and a rather weird sense of humour, perhaps a bit like Papercuts on semi-illegal steroids.

      Delete
  2. So it's like Papercuts listening to The Prodigy or the music for Papercuts being The Prodigy, something like Warriors Dance by The Prodigy which also has Animation in it (check it out).

    ReplyDelete