That is to say, I don't think I have one overall favourite. I have different favourite media for achieving different objectives, and I find that using different ones for different projects helps to keep me sane. Ish. I think I'd go mad(der than usual) if I was forced to stick to the same medium for a long time.
- If I'm trying to do an expressive drawing, I find it's a good idea to start in pencil, and work over it in ink and/or colour pencils once I've got the linework right. Example here.
- On the other hand, if I want a more energetic feel, then I sometimes just go straight for the pen. For example, my latest Fort Paradox illustration, Episode 076.
- I find paints are usually a more ad-hoc, hyper-analogue medium. I tend to use paints when I've got a general idea but I don't have all the detail worked out, and I just want to grab a brush and see what happens. There are exceptions (e.g. that kingfisher...) but a lot of my paintings are experiments in impromptunity. Did I just invent a word there?
- When creating CD cover art (usually for Tim's compositions), I always work in the GNU Image Manipulation Program, because I feel CD cover art requires a certain level of technical sophistication. The component images may come from a variety of sources (scanner, camera, CGI renders, whatever) but the final composite is always done in GIMP.
I've also been given five more questions by Sam, which I will try to answer soon:
- If you could be in a Rock Band what Instrument would you Play?
- Have you seen any Godzilla Films?
- If you could buy any car (money No Object) what would it be?
- Which do you prefer: Motorhead or Metallica?
- Who is your favourite Stand Up Comedian?
I shall try to answer these, as well as Hannah's questions, in the near future. So many questions... maybe I should have got a Formspring account after all?
- Twenty Questions status: 3 down, 17 to go
- Days until Root Hill: 19
- Latest book read: still Operation Mincemeat
- Latest film/TV watched: still Endgame
- Latest music listened to: the 9-tune mashup that forms the soundtrack of Arbitrary Stopframe episode 8
- Latest edible item eaten: apple and walnut cake, and coffee
- Predominant colour of clothes: denim blue on one half, medium red on t'other
- Programs and web pages currently running: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Firefox (tabs: Blogspot Dashboard; The Fantastic Blog of George Darlan; Josh's Most Excellent Blog; A White Horizon; Blogspot Create Post; MatNav 6.1); Sony Vegas; Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Webcomics posted today: Cylinder and Miserable #1324
- The Colclough