Saturday 30 July 2011

What to Answer Next?

I started at the beginning and answered Question 1 first.  Fair enough.  But I don't think I'll be sticking to the order for much longer, mainly because Question 2 is the strangest and hardest-to-answer of the whole lot, and I need more time to chew it over.  So where to go next?  I don't want to do all the easy ones up front - some of them, maybe, but not all - so...

...um...

right, here goes: Question 4: "If you were a character in Doctor Who, who would you be?"


You know that green fellow with the giant pincers for hands, in Episode 257?  I think that's probably me, because...

...no, I'm joking.

Well, it's obvious, isn't it?  Rory Williams.  Seems pretty obvious to me, anyhow.  I'm proceding on the assumption that I'm supposed to compare the characters to my own actual traits rather than being idealistic.  Part of me would dearly love to say the Doctor, of course, because he's ludicrously clever and all that, and he has a TARDIS.  Tim and I have had... let's call it a discussion... of the relative merits of the TARDIS and the Enterprise.  He maintains that by all objective standards of spaceship-ness, the Enterprise wins hands down.  Which I suppose it does - it looks like a starship, it sounds like a starship, the crew all wear starship-ish uniforms, and so on and so forth.  But that's all mere objectivity.  I still think the TARDIS is subjectively better, in spite of everything.  And it does have some objective advantages too, e.g. being able to travel through time just as easily as through space, and having about the same parking footprint as a Morris Minor, which is impressive for a vehicle with a library and a swimming pool inside.

But I digress.  As much as I might like to compare myself to the last of the Time Lords, realistically I'd have to go with Rory.  He's the one who I look at and recognise myself in.  You know, the awkward, less-than-forceful personality, the way he gets the technically complicated stuff (e.g. the dimensionally transcendental TARDIS interior) but isn't always so much up to speed on dealing with the human beings, and so on.

That's not to say he doesn't have his strong points, e.g. his loyalty, which I would like to think applies to me too, although what with having never been anything other than single I've never had the opportunity to find out for sure about that one.

Did anybody think I was going to say someone else?


Statistically speaking:
  • Twenty Questions status: 2 down, 18 to go (still winning...)
  • Days until Root Hill: 21
  • Latest book read: Operation Mincemeat
  • Latest film/TV watched: Endgame (the 2009 film about the end of Apartheid in South Africa, not the other unrelated films of the same name) - I actually saw this before writing my last post, but I had the viewing order mixed up in my head and thought Sherlock had been later
  • Latest music listened to: Doctor Who Series 5 main theme (appropriately)
  • Latest edible item eaten: toasted muffin with bramble jelly
  • Predominant colour of clothes: mid-dark blue (what did I say about a recurring theme?)
  • Programs and web pages currently running: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Firefox (tabs: Blogspot Create Post; my last post; MatNav 6.1); The GIMP; Windows Media Player 11
  • Webcomics posted today: Cylinder and Miserable #1323


- The Colclough

1 comment:

  1. *Starts catching up with the internet*

    I'm not sure who I was expecting to you to choose/say. Then again, I'm not sure who I would give you... The system my friends and I have for dishing out characters isn't particularly logical and tbh it's now got to the point of what characters are left if we're not going to let anyone be the doctor (not even just one specific regeneration) and if noone wants to be a bad guy...

    ReplyDelete