Monday 1 August 2011

The Meanings of the Mediums

Question 5: "Do you have a favourite medium to use when doing artwork?"


Nope.

That is to say, I don't think I have one overall favourite.  I have different favourite media for achieving different objectives, and I find that using different ones for different projects helps to keep me sane.  Ish.  I think I'd go mad(der than usual) if I was forced to stick to the same medium for a long time.

Some examples:
  • If I'm trying to do an expressive drawing, I find it's a good idea to start in pencil, and work over it in ink and/or colour pencils once I've got the linework right.  Example here.
  • On the other hand, if I want a more energetic feel, then I sometimes just go straight for the pen.  For example, my latest Fort Paradox illustration, Episode 076.
  • I find paints are usually a more ad-hoc, hyper-analogue medium.  I tend to use paints when I've got a general idea but I don't have all the detail worked out, and I just want to grab a brush and see what happens.  There are exceptions (e.g. that kingfisher...) but a lot of my paintings are experiments in impromptunity.  Did I just invent a word there?
  • When creating CD cover art (usually for Tim's compositions), I always work in the GNU Image Manipulation Program, because I feel CD cover art requires a certain level of technical sophistication.  The component images may come from a variety of sources (scanner, camera, CGI renders, whatever) but the final composite is always done in GIMP.


I've also been given five more questions by Sam, which I will try to answer soon:
  1. If you could be in a Rock Band what Instrument would you Play?
  2. Have you seen any Godzilla Films?
  3. If you could buy any car (money No Object) what would it be?
  4. Which do you prefer: Motorhead or Metallica?
  5. Who is your favourite Stand Up Comedian?

I shall try to answer these, as well as Hannah's questions, in the near future.  So many questions... maybe I should have got a Formspring account after all?


Statistician Fodder:
  • Twenty Questions status: 3 down, 17 to go
  • Days until Root Hill: 19
  • Latest book read: still Operation Mincemeat
  • Latest film/TV watched: still Endgame
  • Latest music listened to: the 9-tune mashup that forms the soundtrack of Arbitrary Stopframe episode 8
  • Latest edible item eaten: apple and walnut cake, and coffee
  • Predominant colour of clothes: denim blue on one half, medium red on t'other
  • Programs and web pages currently running: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Firefox (tabs: Blogspot Dashboard; The Fantastic Blog of George Darlan; Josh's Most Excellent Blog; A White Horizon; Blogspot Create Post; MatNav 6.1); Sony Vegas; Microsoft Office Word 2007
  • Webcomics posted today: Cylinder and Miserable #1324


- The Colclough

3 comments:

  1. I did post a comment yesterday, but blogger went and lost it somehow. Very curious to know: what do you think of Operation Mincemeat? and did you come across it by accident or did I remember to recommend it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm about half-way through Mincemeat, and really enjoying it. i was reading it because Dad's acquired a copy recently. can't remember whether you'd mentioned it, but if you did then it was a good recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Formspring accounts are overrated. Plus replies in the form of blog posts are much nicer because they're all thought out and such :) although, short formspring answers would have been so much easier to catch up with...

    ReplyDelete